Gyro Gearloose's self-awareness

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Dec 25 16:49:02 CET 2003

JOSEPH ADORNO, 17-12-2003:

> There are many gags about Gyro's fees for his services being
> ridiculously low. I always thought his main concern was to just be
> able to work on whichever idea pops out of his head before it begins
> to stagnate, and be able to have the resources available to pull it
> off. If he can keep working and live well comfortably in order to
> pull off his inventions then there's no problem.

Nice interpretation. Next to this, I look at Gyro as a person who's
desperately searching for recognition. I think that pride is involved,
at least.

In Barks's stories, he's trying to get patents, which seem to get
refused often; he's joining contests; and he gets angry when another
inventor seems to be better than him.

Maybe he rather wants to paid with *patents* and *copyrights*, instead
of just money. Money evaporates after a while, and recognition might
be everlasting.

Just some thoughts, as addition to your interpretation.

--- Daniël