WG: Carl Barks Library

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Fri Feb 7 15:46:03 CET 2003

Mattias Hallin wrote:

> Also, to this day I vividly remember getting the first
> shipment, with (I
> think) the first six volumes to be published (this was how far the
> project had advanced at the moment I decided to buy)... At the post
> office, I picked up an enormous US Post Office canvas sack, heavy as I
> don't know what, which I the proceeded to drag home... But
> oh, the pure
> joy of opening that sack (I'm sure I've still got it tucked away
> somewhere) and getting six CBL volumes out... :-)

I remember first seeing a set of the CBL at the local book shop. I was
priced at 320 DM - which would be around 350 EUR today (inflation
included). I was 14 years old then, knew aboout Barks and already had
some smaller books and many collections reprinting his works. When a saw
the set, I asked the shopkeeper if I could look into it. I was shocked,
when I saw, that it was only in b/w :-O At this price? Times an tastes
change - and so several years later I could appreciate the crystal clear
b/w printings.

I bought my copies of the CBL with my first salary at the army. I
remember that my mother had to drive to the customs office to get the
shipment of 8 sets. The customs officers were curious what the content
of this enormously heavy delivery could be. When my mother told them,
and added that I am such a big Duck fan, some background on carl barks
and that I had bought the Books with my first self-earned money, they
refrained from colecting the 7% sales tax :-)

There is one particular feature of the CBL that is quite remarkable: The
smell! The books have a very distinct, well, stink ;-)

Cord