Carl Barks Library

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Fri Feb 7 17:20:40 CET 2003

MATTIAS:

> In comparison, I'm one of those who paid up front for the entire set, and
> then got each volume as it came out...

Same here...

> If my memory serves me, the price
> then, back in the early/mid 1980s, was $810 for the complete CBL vol. I-X,
> shipping to Europe included.

I bought it in the US and, if I remember correctly, this was a discount
price for people who pre-ordered the entire series. Full price was around
$1000 or so.

> Mind you, the dollar then was worth about half what it is now...

(Traces of Paperino Anno 2000!)

Something tells me that prices in the US have not been halved, however!

> At the post
> office, I picked up an enormous US Post Office canvas sack, heavy as I
> don't know what, which I the proceeded to drag home...

For the life of me, I can't remember how the volumes arrived; I must have
been pretty ecstatic to receive them. (The volumes probably arrived at
the university, and I stored them in my office, carrying them home one
by one.)

> But oh, the pure
> joy of opening that sack (I'm sure I've still got it tucked away
> somewhere) and getting six CBL volumes out... :-)

OH, YES! Especially in those days, when many Barks stories had been new
to me, and I had not been tired of all those re-re-re-prints.

My adventures with the CBL went a bit further. When I returned to Greece,
two of the sets were damaged during shipping, with a volume or two missing
from each set, and I had to buy new sets. (Back in 1990, when this had
still been possible.) I also remember that when the last set came out,
it arrived in Athens while I was serving in the army, on the day that I
was being transferred to another outfit. I had to carry the set from a
distant post-office, on, foot, and then take the bus to travel to my new
outfit. When I arrived there, they asked me why my hands were trembling;
it was from having carried that heavy CBL set all morning!

> Ah, memories... :-)

Indeed! :-)

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"I don't like to contaminate a good story with truth."
-----