DCML digest #1248

Klartekst info at klartekst.no
Sun Feb 9 23:41:22 CET 2003

Don Rosa wrote:

<But the #3 idea is to have current stories that take place in 2003 and still
have $crooge refer to his adventures in the 19th Century -- this forces the
reader to put the stories into a fairy-tale Never-Never Land, and that takes
the power out of the characters... they are apparently immune to misfortune
or aging or injury.>

How about a 4th. version: The ducks are mortal, but they live for a very long time, like some types of elves. Non-talking duck live for 7-10 years if they're lucky during hunting seasons. Maybe talking ducks live a lot longer. In any case, we can't automatically assume that they have the same life expectancy as real humans.

To me, $crooge was around in the 1890s. He was around in the 1950s when I was a kid, and he is still around today. This does not make him a less powerful character. He fears for his life just like the rest of us. He knows he can get killed or even succumb to illness. And Duckburg is not a fairy-tale land, but a 21st. century town. True, they drive old-fashioned cars and the men still wear hats, but that's just their way.

Isn't that the whole point of creating a fantasy world for yourself? You can have it both ways.

Nils from Norway