Inkers on Duck Album nr. 649

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 12 19:34:15 CET 2003

I looked up Duck Album Nr. 649 in INDUCKS, to see the pencilers and inkers of
the various stories.  Tony Strobl is listed as doing ALL the artwork on both
the US and Gladstone stories. Yet, the inking styles for the characters look
very much like a different hand to me.  It is difficult for me to believe that
Strobl would do such different quality work on two stories for the same book,
at essentially the same time. I can understand his subconsciously working
harder on the US (more interesting)story, but the quality is too different. I
wonder if he had an unofficial "helper" who was unknown to Western Pub. I know
of some artists who "ghosted" or assisted for friends who worked for Disney
comics franchises, when those friends became overloaded with their work. The
Disney artist then paid his friend for the work help, out of his own money.
The "assistant never got credit for help on the story. Perhaps Strobl got
unofficial assistance in some inking, on stories where he had  previously
accepted the inking job, but was not able to keep to his deadline?

Rob Klein