DCML digest, Vol 1 #1230

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Jan 26 06:10:19 CET 2003

From: Stefan Persson (spe at inducks.org)
Subject: Re: DuckTales
> That might indicate that Don Rosa found
> DuckTales at least a little bit interesting.
>>>No, this indicates that his employer ordered him to write a DuckTales
story.

No, this indicates that you don't know what you're talking about. It so
happens that I am a freelancer. I take orders from no one. I do what I want,
when I want. (Maybe you shoulda let me answer this question about me.)
And no, I had no interest in "Duck Tales". But I had an interest in the HUGE
page-rate for writing that the publisher of this kiddie magazine offered me
from out of the blue. It was after I had quit working at Gladstone due to
Disney's command that Gladstone no longer return my artwork, and I was happy
to get such a nice job! But subsequently I had trouble getting the #@^*%
publisher to PAY me, so I did no more work for them.

> I know that several DuckTales stories has been
> published by Egmont, but for some reason
> Egmont hasn't published "Back in Time for a
> Dime!" - do anyone here know why?
because it's difficult to obtain studio stories from Disney.

No, it's only because Egmont does not even know this story exists. It never
appeared in a comic book, only in this children's puzzle/story magazine that
Egmont would never have seen. And I'm not gonna tell them about it because
my script was changed and because Stefan Persson dislikes the tale in no
uncertain terms.
And two more reasons that Egmont would not want to publish it even if they
knew about it -- because "Ducktales" is dead, modern readers are unaware of
the unique storyline and characters; and also because I did not DRAW my own
script, which is where the true sparkle lies (such as it is).