DCML Digest, Vol 4, Issue 6

Arie Fachrisal cien2 at cbn.net.id
Wed Jun 4 18:13:06 CEST 2003

Thomas:
> But I'm not sure I agree 100% that at the end of the story, Scrooge saw
> the plate as nothing more than a metal plaque suitable for feeding
> pigeons. As I see it, he's still sad that it wasn't worth it being king
> (i.e. have a lot of money repaid) -- too much trouble in it -- and he
> keeps the plaque as a (secret) memory of the whole incident, and
> probably to remind him that it's the little things that make your inner
> heart happy, not the things that make you look happy or powerful (as you
> put it) for when he's in a sentimental mood (and indeed it *has* a
> practical use, too). After all, he could have used any other flat object
> (wooden plate, etc.) for feeding the pigeons. But he didn't.

After re-reading my original post, i regret stated such extreme opinion
which i myself dont agree. Actually yes, i agree that the plague still holds
memory for him and will be treated as one of his trophies. Isnt it kinda
ironic/sarcastic that Scrooge used the plague that granted him a kingdom of
his own to feed the pigeons while in the 1st panel he didnt use any other
similar flat objects? ;-)

It's a good story.

Unlikely favorites:
Hey, this is fun. Here's mine. The Ben Verhagen duck story which tell DD and
Gladstone competing in a journey around the world.In the end, Gladstone lose
cause he used modern means of transportation. I like it cause the story is
long yet interesting to read and it certainly felt like a Barks story. Story
code unknown cause i doesnt have the books with me now :-)

Sigvald:
"H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl wrote:
>> In 1966 Carl Barks retired...
>>
> Correct.
Are you sure? AFAIK his Barks' last stories was done or at least published
in 1967. I think that's why Don Rosa has chosen that year as the year of
Scrooge's death."

I had the same situation more of the same but i stumbled upon that i thought
Barks last story was made and published in 1966. I asked Don if he had made
an "unofficial" death of Scrooge on 1967 in order for Scrooge to have a 100t
h year. (unofficial because i dont think egmont or any other disney
publisher will allow story of scrooge's death to be made and published). So
i asked Don if he would later change his mind and make Scrooge dead in 1966,
which in my mind, was to create the same "incarnation" of Barks' character
towards his creator. (in simple words, scrooge dead as 99 years old, just
like Mr. Barks).

I got a detailed explanation from Don which i think might be able to answer
ur question:
Don:
"No, I'll stick to 1967. It doesn't really matter when Barks retired, it
doesn't matter when he wrote/drew his final story -- what's important is
when it APPEARED to the world. We don't recognize the anniversary of a
famous book or movie by researching when it was written or filmed -- we go
by the date it was RELEASED. Similarly, you don't celebrate your birthday on
the day you were created, but you celebrate it about 9 months later when you
are born (released). Barks might have stopped producing stories in 1966, but
what matters is that his last story was published in mid 1967."

So i guess that should answer ur curiosity. Barks did retire in 1966 but his
last story was published and made known to public a year later in 1967.

Keep On Quacking,
Arie Fachrisal and a guy named Joe from Singapore.