Meta-stories

Klartekst info at klartekst.no
Thu Jun 5 12:01:31 CEST 2003

I have a very tough question that I hope some list members can help me with.

I am currently re-reading "Sophie's World", a very clever book about
philosophy that was an international best seller a few years ago. The
author Jostein Gaarder uses a very efficient plot device. He lets his
protagonist make the devastating discovery that she is a fictional
character.  "I don't exist!" she cries. "I'm just a person in a book that
somebody is writing." Her mentor, the philosopher, replies: "And how does
the guy who writes the book know that HE's not a character in another book
that somebody else is writing?"

Now to my question:

Has there ever been a story where the ducks were aware that they were
cartoon characters?

Non-Disney creators do this a lot. In Bloom County, the great comic strip
of the 80s, the characters would sometimes muff their lines, try to rewrite
the script and even go on strike! But in a duck story?

I know one instance that does'nt really count: In the beginning of Floyd
Gottfrdssons adaption of "The Brave Little Tailor" we see Mickey coming to
the film studio to start shooting the story. But I feel that this was
simply a justification for placing the mouse in an historical setting (time
machines were not so common in those days).

Does anyone know of any other cases?

Nils from Norway