Tragic Gladstone

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed Jun 25 03:50:52 CEST 2003

MACIEK "KUR" to me, 23-06-2003:

>> In this story Gladstone is bragging to Donald, about having more luck
>> than Donald, and therefore having more succes in life, etc. Suddenly,
>> Donald critically asks if Gladstone has any *friends*. What follows
>> is an IMHO beautiful scene with an empty looking, *sad* Gladstone.
>>
>> I found this a very interesting angle on Gladstone as character.
>> Does someone know which story I'm typing about?

> Well no but it remaind me some storys wen Gladstone is tragic :
> I remember a story in Wich Gladstone was very sad theat he don't have
> frends and evry one y was nice to heam just bicous he was lucky. And
> Huey Duey and Luey try to Help him.

Maybe it's the same story?

In private, I got a reference to another story with a tragic Gladstone.
A story called "O'Lucky Man" (D98220), written by Kari Korhonen and
drawn by Jose Colomer. According to the sender, this story also dwelled
on the futile existence of Gladstone Gander.

BTW. There are (I think) about two 1950s/1960s Barks-stories in which
Gladstone basically has no luck. He's not really tragic there, though.
In these stories, he's a customer of Gyro Gearloose. One of these
stories contains a repetitive saying about the customer always being
right. This information is from memory. I'm too lazy to check. :-)

--- Daniël

"All things come to him who sits and waits! That's my slogan!"
(Which Barks story?)