Don Rosa and Picsou

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Tue Mar 18 05:24:59 CET 2003

Goofy313g at aol.com wrote:

> Now, about Ludwig, would Picsou Magazine allow
> you to do a story with Ludwig married to
> Matilda, or a story with the return of Matilda,
> Hortense and Quackmore, or a story with HDL's
> parents, or are all of these ideas are totally
> forbidden by any publisher?

No, it's only against Egmont's policy. Some time
ago Don Rosa said in a message to DCML that
Egmont won't let him do these stories for them,
but if he does them for an other publisher they
would probably have them published anyway - just
as with "The Coin" and "The Sharpie of the
Culebra Cut".

> If Picsou gives you more liberties, I think
> it's too bad to not work with them anymore...

There are at least two reasons Don Rosa might
not want to work for Picsou right now:

1) The old editor of Picsou, apparently a friend
of his, was replaced with people who seems to
give a damn about his work. The pin-ups are
gone, and they printed the wrong version of
"Gyro's First Invention".

2) The French are not very popular in the USA
nowadays, as many Americans now apparently
sees the French as Saddam Husseins "useful
idiots".

My guess is thus that Don Rosa for the time
being, would prefer to Work for Gemstone
before Picsou.

Sigvald :-)