Van Horn and Barks

JALustig@aol.com JALustig at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 00:55:25 CET 2003

Sigvald wrote:

> OK, this is it! This is definitive evidence that William Van Horn is *not*
> as true a successor to Barks as Don Rosa. By introducing this so-called
> half-brother of Scrooge in contradiction to Barks, Mr. Van Horn shows that
> he doesn't really accept Barks' universe to the last letter.
>
> Please notice that this is not any critics at all against Mr. Van Horn as a
> great creator - I still think he is one of the absolute best. This is only
> friendly comment to those here who have from time to time stated that they
> see Van Horn as a successor to Barks as much as Don Rosa.
>
> Sigvald :-)

Okay. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Personally, I've never
believed that anyone is (or can be) Barks' successor. So it's hard for me to
argue against this. However, if there is a successor to Barks (whether it's
Van Horn, Rosa or someone in the distant future), I'd never disqualify him
(or her) simply because they created a new relative or added a novel element
to the duck family saga. Adding new elements is a delicate matter. I'm sure
we can all cite instances in which new creators have twisted an existing
storyline (It happens all the time with movie sequels!) and put a spin on it
that is entirely inappropriate.

However, from time to time, new things have to be tried. That's what
creativity is all about.

Best Wishes,
John Lustig
7218 27th Ave. N.E.