DCML Digest Issue 1316

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Mar 26 14:56:42 CET 2003

> From: "M.J. Prior" <M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl>
> Subject: Parents of Huey, Dewey, Louie in 'Return to Xanadu'
> > Still, I heard something new there: Don [Rosa] included a hint to
> > HDL's parents in the "Return to Xanadu" story!
>
> I'm still very curious as to what this 'hint' might be. I've read this
> story several times over and I can't remember such a thing. (I don't
> have it right here with me in Groningen.)
> Don Rosa, could you reveal it to us,
> please? Or maybe such an revelation would spoil everything, so
> everyone should look and find it for himself?

I don't want to reveal what it was (as if it's not easily guess-able?), but
at the press conference it Italy I never said these hints were IN the
finished story. The sequence I referred to was in the original *script*, but
I never illustrated that portion. Sorry if you were caused to reread and
rereread the story in search of something that isn't there.
Maybe I'll get around to it someday... but I'm not sure when or how I might
convince a publisher to accept it... or even if *I* will ultimately decide
it's a story that I have a way to tell that would make it appropriate.

> The only clue I can think of is that both "Return to Xanadu" and
> "The Crown of the Crusader Kings" have an ending that points
> forward to a possible sequel in which $crooge might return to his
> ancestral castle in Scotland.

Yes, the deleted portion in the "Return to Xanadu" script certainly did
refer to a sequel where the Ducks would again return there for "special
reason" (as the High Lama tells HD&L they are destined to do in the deleted
sequence). As for the other sequel you mention, I am now drawing that
tale -- it is the longest story I'll have ever done and features the return
of Matilda McDuck, the only one of the "missing Ducks" that Egmont will
allow me to use.
But even knowing that will spoil one of the surprises of the story, so
forget I said it!