"HD&L as dipshits" + "Whitman/Egmont [was: Re: AW: RE: Gemstone/Gladstone [was: Thereturn of Disney Ducks comics in the US]]"

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Thu May 8 00:27:59 CEST 2003

(Oops, sent this one only to Sigvald.)

 Sigvald:
> As some one else recently stated - nothing I write here
> intended of offending anybody.

Oh, so you DO read my messages? :-)

> I've got a few German Mickey Mouse magazines with
> HD&L on the cover. However there they appear very
> different from the straight, bright, clever and
> serious boys who Barks even made generals in The
> Junior Woodchucks. By consequently drawing HD&L
> with stupid caps worn backwards and wearing some
> silly modern kids clothing Ehapa has IMO turned
> HD&L into silly dipshits.

Hmm... I haven't seen this, but in my opinion, the comics are more important
than the covers...

Barks always drew HD&L with stupid caps, and I don't see why silly modern
kids clothing is bad either. Remember that the policy is (in Egmont, that
is - I'm not sure about Ehapa, but would guess it is the same) the stories
find place TODAY, and then I don't see why it's so wrong wearing modern
clothing. I don't see why it is wrong wearing kids clothing either. They ARE
kids. Frankly, I don't see ANYTHING wrong with HD&L following the fashion of
their time.

> I guess this is the result of a policy of mainly doing the
> magazine for small kids.

Please explain. Silly me doesn't see your logic.

> Luckily HD&L still have a rather serious appearance in
> Egmont publications!

Sure, as long as you would say that wearing 65 years old black sweaters all
the time is "serious".

> You seems to forget that $crooge's background and
> and family relations now have been to well documented
> for such new characters to fit well in.

Oh yes, that is true. Scrooge is Grandma's brother, and they live on her
farm together. Right?

No, I assume you are thinking of Life of $crooge? Well, then...
1) Life of $crooge contradicts much said in earlier stories. (Yeah,
non-Barks-stories. So what? They're still stories.)
2) Different publishers, different policies. Even though Egmont DID support
Life of $crooge as "The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth",
who says Gemstone has to?
3) It's OBVIOUSLY not Egmont's policy that "we won't let in other siblings
to Scrooge than Hortense and Matilda" - as they let through Rumpus.

Best,
Olaf the Blue
www.andebyonline.com