SV: Re: "HD&L as dipshits" + "Whitman/Egmont [was: Re: AW: RE: Gemstone/Gladstone [was: Thereturn of Disney Ducks comics in the US]]"

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu May 8 01:56:51 CEST 2003

Olaf Solstrand <olaf at andebyonline.com> wrote:

> Sigvald:
>> As some one else recently stated - nothing
>> I write here intended of offending anybody.
>
> Oh, so you DO read my messages? :-)

Off course I do - with a great portion of interest to!

>> I've got a few German Mickey Mouse magazines
>> with HD&amp;L on the cover. However there
>> they appear very different from the straight,
>> bright, clever and serious boys who Barks
>> even made generals in The Junior Woodchucks.
>> By consequently drawing HD& with stupid caps
>> worn backwards and wearing some silly modern
>> kids clothing Ehapa has IMO turned HD&L into
>> silly dipshits.
>
> Hmm... I haven't seen this, but in my opinion,
> the comics are more important
> than the covers...

Off course, they are! But the cover's still tell much about who Ehapa want's
to sell it to.

> Barks always drew HD&L with stupid caps,

At least they were worn in a serious way.

> and I don't see why silly modern kids clothing
> is bad either.

Well, the clothing weared by HD&L in some of Ehapas covers implicate that
HD&L tries to be cool the modern way - which often implicates bad attitudes,
criminal behaviour and to some extent even experimenting with or using
illegal drugs as teenagers - and that's far away from the serious
JW-generals that I love.

> Remember that the policy is (in Egmont, that
> is - I'm not sure about Ehapa, but would guess
> it is the same) the stories find place TODAY,
> and then I don't see why it's so wrong wearing
> modern clothing. I don't see why it is wrong
> wearing kids clothing either. They ARE kids.
> Frankly, I don't see ANYTHING wrong with
> HD&L following the fashion of their time.

In our time there are various fashions - Ehapa do IMO present one that could
be seen as being used by cool kids who MAY eventually end up as loosers in
the society.

And don't forget that Egmont denies Don Rosa to let Donald wear oher
clothings - so why change HD&Ls clothing to something far worse?

>> I guess this is the result of a policy of
>> mainly doing the magazine for small kids.
>
> Please explain. Silly me doesn't see your logic.

OK! Ehapa may think taht if they make HD&L looking silly they would apeal to
todays kids ho often wear IMO silly clothing or at least think that such
silly clothing looks cool.

>> Luckily HD&L still have a rather serious
>> appearance in Egmont publications!
>
> Sure, as long as you would say that wearing
> 65 years old black sweaters all the time is
> "serious".

Yes, they do IMO look 100 OK with that clothing.

Sigvald :-)