Duck Universe

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Fri May 9 07:13:15 CEST 2003

We've hashed over these same topics and statements several times before.  I
will add my same comments again.

(1)The Barks and Rosa "Duck Universes" are not meant to be "gospel" and to
disallow anything that might in any way be considered by fanatics (real word
for "fans" contraction)to contradict those gospel facts. There have been many
other creators (including myself)who would like to have the creative freedom to
invent new characters and situations that might be appropriate for enjoyment of
a large range of readers of various ages and walks of life.

2)Neither Barks nor any other artist ever showed a "Duckburg/Calisota duck"
being born live. Marco Rota, Tony Strobl, and a few other artists showed
Donald, and some other "Duckpeople" hatching from eggs. Furthermore, I believe
Barks' dialogue having the Ducks mention that "if they swam across
the "Fountain of Youth" lake, they'd return to their place in their egg, before
getting half way across." was meant to be taken as a joke based on the real
situation.  The funniest jokes to mankind are often based on reality (often
based on real misfortune).  Yes, it was said with irony, but I believe it also
referred to a well-understood fact.

3) I believe also that The Duck's World is a parallel world to Earth. it is in
another dimension, where the laws of our Universe do not apply (exactly the way
they do in our science). Some things work the same, others are similar, but
different in degree, still others are based on a totally different history
and/or physics.

4) I am CONVINCED Carl Barks' famous sketched family tree, was NOT used by him
as a technical resource data base for his referral in creating many future
stories (after making it). I talked with him at length several times between
1966 and 1973, about his stories, main characters, secondary characters,
Duckburg, Calisota, where his ideas came from, etc. etc. He mentioned time
after time, that he NEVER had a DEFINED self-made database or plan of the
geography and history of the Ducks, Duckburg, Calisota, etc.  He said that he
only had a very general idea about the Duckburg/Calisota geography, and make-up
of the Duck Family in the back of his mind.  He invented new characters as he
needed them for individual stories. He CHANGED the geography of Duckburg to
suit his needs in particular stories. After he had built up a large body of
stories, Barks became aware that he had better be aware of what he had created
previously, to avoid contradicting his past stories (even though he had no idea
that a whole generation of readers had continued to read his stories already
for more than 10 years).  He thought about the duck family, and hastily
scratched out his "family tree". He told me that he DID NOT refer to his family
tree, religiously when he wrote future stories.  He only had a "vague idea" of
the familial relationships of all but the main "core" characters.  When I told
him that he had made very few contradictions in all his work, he was
flabbergasted. He had thought there would have been much more, as he said he
used characters and geography as needed for each story, and rarely, IF EVER,
went back into his previous stories to research what he had done, to avoid
contradiction.  He did it all from memory.  In "Race To The South Seas"
Gladstone was not even related to Uncle Scrooge by blood. The latter was
Gladstone's mother's brother's brother-in-law. In other stories, he mentioned
that Gladstone was Donald's cousin.  Sometimes he thought of Donald's sister as
Dumbella, sometimes as Della, and on the family tree as "Thelma". As for many
of the names of characters he put on his family tree, whom he never used in a
story, he probably NEVER  THOUGHT OF THEM AGAIN!!!  How can one consider Barks'
hastily produced family tree as gospel, when he never really used it?
Shouldn't what appeared in the comic books take precedence?

Rob Klein