Disney Superhero Comics + Reply to Matt A. Williams

disneyfanjune@ignmail.com disneyfanjune at ignmail.com
Fri Oct 17 07:53:43 CEST 2003

>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:05:11 -0400
>From: "Matthew Williams" <kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net>
>Subject: Disney Superhero Comics/ Hong Kong Disney
>To: <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
>
>Hello and welcome to the list!	You're having the same problem that I
>had
>when I joined the list a few weeks ago.  Your messages are being
>scrubbed
>because you need to send your messages in plain text rather than
>rich, html
>text.  I fixed this problem by going under "format" on my
>browser.  When I
>had this problem, I didn't know what to do, and I was worried at
>first that
>I wouldn't be able to participate in the group!  I apologize if this
>is
>information that you already knew.
>
>I'm interested that you were hooked by Hong Kong Disney comics!  It
>interests me what a world-wide phenomena Disney comics are!  In what
>ways
>would you say that Hong Kong Disney comics differ from American Disney
>comics?
>
>Matt A. Williams
>

>AFAIK, all Disney comics published in Hong Kong are reprints of
>stories
>published elsewhere.
>
>Stefan

MATT A. WILLIAMS
No, I didn't know that was the problem. Thank you for telling me even though I'm not quite sure whether I'm finally doing it right.

As for your question, I purchased comics in Hong Kong during the period when there were no comics in the States. I'm finally back in the States again and was disappointed to see that there were no Disney comics. The comics I read were the ones that were seen in, I guess, England because they were in English. Hong Kong was a British colony until a few years ago when they handed it back to China in what was called the Change Over. Disney comics in general disappeared from anywhere in the world for a while there much to my disappointment. (My Disney comics are, unfortunately, still in Beijing, China where we lived for a year before the Change Over. There wasn't anything to do there, and they don't allow much outside literature in. So more Disney comic deprivation.) Now that the Disney comics are back, I can shout with happiness and enjoy the antics of my favorite comic characters.

Since my previous message was scrubbed, here it is again:

	Hi. I'm new to the list. I'm only eighteen, but I'm a hardcore female Disney fan who plans to work for Disney some day in the animation department. I have known about Disney comics before they started reappearing in the States because I lived in Hong Kong for four and a half years. I purchased quite a few Disney comics while I was there and was disappointed when I couldn't find any when I moved back to the States. Now that they are back on the shelves, all I can say is "Yippie!!!!". My favorite comic series is the Scrooge McDuck series. I can't wait for the next editions to come out; I'm so excited about the new Take-Along series.

I'm not sure whether this is allowed under the rule that we are only suppose to talk about Disney comics since it isn't talking about the ones that feature Mickey and the gang, but what's this I hear about Disney getting in on the superhero business? Are they really going to do it? Plus, are any of the talented Gemstone/Disney artists and writers who are working on the Mickey and the gang series going to take this new venture on? Finally, what's this I hear about Disney opening themselves up to character ideas from superhero fans?

"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse."
-Walt Disney (and a man)
--
http://www.ign.com
Upgrade to Premium IGN Email