Evolution of the Ducks home location

Larry Giver lgiver at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 22 10:28:11 CEST 2003

    In Barks' early stories he associated the ducks with the Disney studios
where
he had worked, located in Burbank, California, USA.  Thus, Burbank was
mentioned in several stories.  He then decided it best that these fictional
characters should have their own fictional home, so he based them in Duckburg;
in "The Magic Hourglass", we see Duckburg is a large city.  Then in "The
Guilded Man" he needed a state for Duckburg, and named the fictional state
of Calisota, but still part of the USA.  Although Scrooge may have many
foreign coins, most stories are concerned with his USA money.  We long
wondered how Scrooge could earn his first dime (an American coin) while still
a boy in Scotland, so Don Rosa developed that in his story.  Scrooge's
1916 quarter in "Atlantis (US5)" is certainly also an American coin.
Even in Don Rosa's story, "His Magesty McDuck", Scrooge is still concerned
with acquiring more American money through tax refunds of the federal
USA government---as head of an independent country, Scrooge argues that
he didn't owe those taxes.  Unfortunately, Scrooge never realized that as
monarch of an independent country, he could create his own money!
    In a later Barks story, "Treasure of Marco Polo (US64)", Barks seems to
consider Duckburg an independent country!  On Page 6, panel 6, Scrooge
says "But I'm a Duckburgian citizen!"  And on page 9, panel 2, he says
"There's the Duckburgian embassy!  I'm going in and demand protection!"
Indeed, the flag on this building has a duck on an otherwise blank field; it's
not a USA flag.  Are there other Barks stories where the ducks are not
considered USA citizens?  I was quite perturbed to see Scrooge proclaiming
himself a Duckburgian citizen in this story.