W.i.t.c.h. and other 'girlie' Disney titles

Arthur arthur at wolfstad.com
Wed Oct 29 20:51:37 CET 2003

Hi,

As you may know I have a website on Disney comics and magazines from around
the world at http://www.wolfstad.com/dcw

I get a lot of emails from people, such as:

"Can you please sell W.i.t.c.h. in the United Arab Emirates?"
"How can I get Brazilian Disney magazines in Georgia?"
"Why did you stop Super Mickey in Egypt?"

Although my site clearly mentions that it is an unofficial fan site, people
still seem to often think that it is official. A lot of questions are about
how to subscribe to English Disney comics or to the ones by Gemstone in
particular. I have sent dozens of people to Gemstone's website where they
can subscribe.

I am really amazed by the popularity of W.i.t.c.h. around the world! I get a
lot of emails about it. The recent article that Lars Jensen sent around,
that was published in Publishers Weekly
(http://publishersweekly.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=
CA330761) mentions that W.i.t.c.h. is published in 42 countries around the
world! That must make it one of the most popular 'syndicated' Disney comics
ever! On my website visitors can rate each title from 1 to 10 and there are
5 publications of W.i.t.c.h. in the top 20 at the moment.

As I am updating my site lately and I get information from publishers or I
find information on publishers' websites, I get the impression that more and
more countries are canceling Disney comic titles and only keeping the ones
that are targeted at girls, like W.i.t.c.h and 'Princess Disney'-type
titles. I wonder why that is happening?

Kind regards,
Arthur