Rosa and Coleridge

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Thu Oct 30 12:29:22 CET 2003

On the related subject "Barks and Coleridge", I brought the Swedish version
of "The Not-so-ancient Mariner" (WDC 312) to class when we studied
Coleridge in high school some 25 years ago. The teacher was so impressed by
finding real poetry in a Duck comic that she immediately signed up as a
member of NAFS(k), our Donaldist society, even ending up as a member of the
board for one period.

And on the also related subject "Rosa and teaching", where I'm sure that
hundreds of similar examples can be given from aorund the world, I'll
contribute this little item: My sister, who is a teacher, ordered extra
copies of Rosa's "The Island at the Edge of Time" (also the Swedish
version, of course) in order to show her junior high students how the
international date line works. No textbook she had ever encountered, she
told me, managed to explain this phenomenon as clearly (not to mention
entertainingly!) as Don did in this story.

S Diös