Scrooge's fortune / rehabilitated Beagle Boys Inc. / Grease Corps

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Sep 5 05:08:12 CEST 2003

In panel 20.4 of "The Giant Robot Robbers" (US 58), Scrooge estimates
that he has to pay 30 billion dollars and concludes that'll take most
of one of the giant buckets of his money. According to panel 12.4,
there are at least seven buckets of money in the story. This could make
the story one of the few that seem give some indication of Scrooge's
(minimum) fortune, so to speak.

In panel 20.5, Mayor Hogwilde sends the Beagle Boys back to prison
"to be REHABILITATED again!" The reminds me of the ending of "The
House of Haunts" (US 63), where a judge sentences them to be
re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-REhabilitated AGAIN!"

In previous panel 20.4 of "House of Haunts", the famous Mrs. Justice
emblem is satirized. (I don't know what the real name is.)

Earlier, on panel 13.5, a poster is shown with a fat pig-face and the
texts "Join the Grease Corps!" and "Eat fat sikles". I think that
Grease Corps must be a pun on the Peace Corps, a movement which Barks
satirized in "A Spicy Tale" (US 39).

BTW. I love panel 13.7, with "ghost" Scrooge making a statement about
his past life, and next to Scrooge a cat which seems to look a bit silly
at him. I like the balance of this panel. It makes Scrooge's statement
about his death a bit softer, while adding some fun to it. The pair looks
rather laughable to me, at least. On previous panel 13.6, Scrooge's hat
being put on his tail(!) also seems to soften the dramatic scene a bit,
while adding some fun.

--- Daniël

"Hey! I said I wanted a MILLION - not a MILLIONAIRE!"  (US 58)