Monkey Business (WDC 297)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Sep 5 04:13:01 CEST 2003

On Discovery Channel, I saw a snippet of a documentary about the Chinese
dictator Moa. It contained b/w (1950s?) footage of people having to hunt
for sparrows, which were considered a plague. The people were shaking the
trees, so the sparrows couldn't land on the branches. And others were
shooting at the sparrows with guns and slingshots.

This sparrow plague reminded me of Barks's art-only "Monkey Business"
(WDC 297), in which Scrooge telephones King Jambok of Siambodia to help
him get rid of a plague of ricebirds raiding the country's rice paddies.
During the story, King Subgum of Upper Malaria tries to invade country
Siambodia. He's mad because the Siambodian ricebirds begin to raid *his*
countries rice paddies.

I didn't realise that the story apparently has a real-life connection with
bird plagues in Asian countries. Is there more to discover? Does the story
refer to some actual toys, countries, and events in particular? (Submission
date is 16 November 1964.)

Some other notes/observations:

Panel 2.6 shows a picture of a duckling coming out of an egg, basically
resembling the looks of one of Donald's nephews.

Panel 3.7 refers to statues in Duckburg's McMallard Park. One statue looks
like Napoleon. I don't know if the other resembles a real person. (Does it?)

Panel 5.7 shows the Royal Nightingales of Siambodia. They have to witness
the payment of Scrooge, to make the deal legal in Siambodia. There's a
fairy tale about a Chinese nightingale, by Hans Christian Andersen. Is
there also a connection with real-life Chinese/Asian traditions of kings
or emperors? Could Barks have known the Andersen fairy tale?

In panel 6.5, King Jambok substracts another five gallons of diamonds for
an army to defend Siambodia's rice fields. Scrooge then thinks: "What I
could say right now about RICE wouldn't be nice!" Is there a gag in here,
other than just the rhyming sound?

In panel 9.2, King Jambok is angry about the plague returning and wants to
let Scrooge pay, because he's "the only guy that can afford the damages!"
On the last page of "The Giant Robot Robbers" (US 58), Mayor Hogwilde says:
"SOMEBODY has to PAY for the damage to those man-robots - and YOU'RE the
only guy rich enough, McDuck!" So, together with "The Doom Diamond" (US 70),
Scrooge has had to cope with at least three situations in which leaders are
eager to demand access to his fortune.

Panel 2.5 shows a picture of a dinner bell being served as dinner. This
is a background detail. In panel 8.5, royal gongs and dinner bells are
mentioned, this time as part of the story.

--- Daniël

"Hey! Somethin's makin' SENSE!"
(Which Barks story?)