Swedish??

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Sat Sep 6 12:44:59 CEST 2003

>According to the official Swedish Dictionary,
><URL:http://g3.spraakdata.gu.se/>, the word "spöa" has been used in
>the context "to beat someone" (or "lash, scourge") since the early
>19th century.
>
>quack,
>
>Magnus Bark,
>Swedish Donaldist

Quite so, and since 1935 figuratively as "conquer, defeat", which no doubt
is the meaning in this case. This date is given in Nationalencyklopediens
Ordbok. It is not marked as a dialect word, although Svenska Akademiens
Ordlista labels it "colloquial". All in all, I think it fits much better in
this headline than any of the words Sigvald suggested, even though I should
have preferred the article to explain why the connection with the Duck was
indicated.

Thank you for your profound interest in our language.

Stefan Dios
Malmo, Sweden