DuckTales/Trivia "RootyToot"

L. Schulte lschulte at sfstoledo.org
Mon Sep 29 17:30:03 CEST 2003

 > From: Larry Giver
 > "Root-te-toot!  Root-te-toot!
 > I'm a girl from the institute!"
 > This seemed very familiar, and sure enough,
 > this line is recycled from a Barks story---
 > who knows which one?

 >>>This quote is from WDC 42: "Kite weather", one of my favorite quotes.<<<

Interesting that there is a similar line in the Dr. Seuss movie from the
early 1950's
  The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.  When the villain's henchmen (who resemble
Beagle Boys, also very interesting!) have captured the boy hero Bart and
his family, they sing a song beginning "Arooty toot toot!  Arooty toot
toot!  Terwilliker williker Institute!"

Concerning DuckTales the TV show, I can verify that in the '80's both my
children and my adolescent students loved every episode much like Jonathan
Gray described his own infatuation with the show.  I would tell my students
that the episodes were based quite often on Barks' stories from earlier
decades, and occasionally passed out copies of the Gladstone comics as
little prizes in my classes.  (I teach in an all-boys Catholic high school.)

Someone mentioned the hilarious episode "All Ducks on Deck", which I
believe shows Donald squawking various orders at sailors during a crisis,
who respond with delightfully comic despair: "What'd he say?  What'd he
say?!!!"  This episode might also be a clue as to why Donald was not often
included in other DuckTales episodes: the nature of the classic voice of
Donald prevented easy comprehension in a plot more complex than the typical
action-driven cartoons of the 30's and 40's.  The voices of the nephews
were modified and sounded less "Donaldish".

Giving Uncle Scrooge the voice of Alan Young with Scotch accent but without
"duckness" or "Donaldness" was obviously necessary for the more intricate
Barksian plots.