The Stone That Turns All Metals Gold

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Apr 3 03:10:24 CEST 2004

DON ROSA to HARRY FLUKS, 01-04-2004:

> As for the Stone being "yellow"... I just think it looks better as a
> contrasting stone-color if it is turning other stuff *into* gold. So
> I always instruct the colorists to make it gray.

In one of Barks's paintings based on 'The Fabulous Philosopher's Stone'
(US 10-02), the Stone looks like an average stone.

See: http://www.seriesam.com/barks/dp_stone_metal.jpg

In Barks's story, Scrooge even throws the Stone away as being just a
chunk of rubble.

And in the end of the story, after realizing the Stone's power, Scrooge
has to give up his wonderful Philosopher's Stone. Has Scrooge ever seen
the Stone again? Not to my mind. I think he went on, to NEW adventures
and NEW situations.

So, 'Letter From Home' is not a story to look forward to, for me. I'm
afraid this story will be yet another Barks revisit. I prefer reading
the original story, and brand-new stories which are inspired with new,
FRESH subjects.

--- Daniël