DCML Digest Issue 10

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Apr 4 12:08:26 CEST 2004

> From: "Matthew Williams" <kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net>
> Subject: Donald's uncle Ludwig (was Rosa's own li'l Universe)
> I love Ludwig, and I love Hortense, but don't you think their
> life together would be miserable?

I constantly strive to alleviate your unhappiness:
In my personal notes (from which this information is dispersed to Internet
sites), it's MATILDA McDuck that Ludwig married, not Hortense. Hortense
married Quackmore Duck, just as Barks' notes say,

> I don't think ol' Sherlock's going to crack too many
> new cases.
> Compare how many duck stories have been created in the last five years to
> the number of new Arthur, Sherlock, Robin Hood, etc. stories that
> have been created during the last ten years.  Do you see my point?

My god!!!!!!!!! Holmes is cracking more cases every day! Are you completely
unaware of all the Sherlock Holmes adventures that have been written by
completely unlicensed authors on this public domain character? And yet the
books are all excellent, all written by great Sherlockian scholars, as who
else would spend all the extra effort and research to do so, to make the
stories so authentic to the originals?! For so little pay? And there have
been MANY Arthurian novels written by authors like Steven Lawhead and
others! You're unaware of those? I don't even know about Robin Hood since he
is not on my eBay book search engine, but I'm sure the number of authors
writing new Robin Hood adventures is the same as those being written about
Doyle's Holmes and the legendary Arthur!
I won't even get into all the new Nero Wolf and James Bond and Fu Manchu and
Doc Savage and Shadow and Oz novels being produced, along with many other
famous characters of dead authors. I save that for when it is foolishly
stated that there should be no new $crooge stories created since Barks
retired.
If you imply only that there have been more Duck comics than there have been
novels written by experienced authors of those other great heroes, well,
that's hardly fair. The Duck comics are turned out weekly and the novels
take far more time to write and present.