Ludwig Von Drake

Daniel J. Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Sun Apr 4 17:34:47 CEST 2004

I also can't really see Ludwig as a married man (or duck), especially
since he stated in one of his cartoon appearances ("Kids is Kids") that
he was a bachelor. Here's my solution to the problem: Rosa has given
Donald's grandfather the name Humperdink--obviously Germanic in origin.
What if Humperdink's parents moved over from Austria with their son and
Americanized their name from the German "Von Drake" to the American
"Duck?" And what if their other son, Ludwig, elected to stay in Austria
(maybe to study at the University of Vienna or something) and kept the
Old World family name? Making Ludwig Humperdink's brother would make
Ludwig Donald's great-uncle, not uncle, but that actually makes him Don's
blood relation, which he wouldn't be if he married Matilda. This would
also make Ludwig a generation older than Scrooge, but it's hard to tell
just how old these professor types are. And besides, Grandma is still
around, so why not her "brother-in-law", Ludwig?