My last OT comment on the subject of my fellow Americans...

Sverre Amundsen sverre at pdq.net
Wed Aug 4 19:49:38 CEST 2004

> You forgot to mention that while American non-comics readers are fuming
> about the increasing price of gasoline (or petrol to our enlightened
> European friends) they continue to shell out 4 times the amount for
> bottled
> water.  Water!  In a country where most residents can turn on the tap and
> receive just about the cleanest, best tasting H-2-O on the planet!
>
> Did you know that the Coca-Cola company (whom Keenan Wynn claims Peter
> Sellers still has to answer to) charges MORE for 16 ounces of water than
> they do for their name-sake main product?  And millions of Americans
> gladly
> pay it?  And yet I still beef about the cost of Gemstone comics because
> I'm
> afraid that the price will steer people away from some good reading.  I'm
> tapped in a world I never made.

Ok, I know we're WAY OT here, but...

This is NOT just an American phenomenon. There have been numerous stories
in Norwegian newspapers regarding this as well, since bottled water is
even more expensive in Norway, and even less necessary.....

I live in Houston, and our tap water taste like it's straight from the
swimming pool. It's just plain awful! First time I tasted it I was
gagging. So for a long time we got the huge 5 gallon bottles of water
delivered on our door from Ozarka. The bill would vary between $30 - $80 a
month. I tried the carbon based water filters that attaches to the faucet,
and it marginally improved things, but you could still taste the chlorine.
I finally spent $250 on a reverse osmosis filter (the one with a tank
under the sink), and I've never been happier. Bottled water is now a thing
of the past in my household.

Sverre