Daisy, AMJ and Gladstone

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Mon Dec 27 14:50:03 CET 2004

Maciek wrote:

>> Because [Daisy is] Donald's girlfriend and wants to meet his family?
>
> Evry christmas?

Sure, why not? Perhaps Daisy's parents are unbearable snobs or
eccentrics, and Daisy prefers celebrating Christmas, Easter, New Year's
Eve, her birthday etc. with Donald and his friends and relatives.

> Seriesly, I think the idea obaut here being HD&L father's sister is
> good. Sow she can relly be part of the family...

I can understand why you think this is a good idea, since it "tightens"
the Duck universe. But as you write further down in your posting,
there's a problem:

In a number of stories, it has been shown that April, May and June have
crushes on Huey, Dewey and Louie, respectively. We've even seen them
going out on romantic dates. (The boys usually being embarrassed by
this.) If Daisy's brother is the father of HDL, that makes HDL and AMJ
cousins. Not distant cousins, but first cousins. And in some places --
including, I believe, certain states in the USA -- a romantic
relationship between first cousins is incest.

Now, imagine that somebody tells the Disney company that HDL and AMJ are
first cousins and are romantically involved. Michael Eisner already
killed off the original plot for "The Lion King 2" because of this. What
do you think will happen to any future use of AMJ -- or reprints of old
AMJ stories? I see a huge likelihood that the girls will be killed off
on a permanent basis, just to avoid Disney being accused of promoting
incest. And I wouldn't blame Disney for this.

Is the loss of April, May and June really worth it, just so we can fit
Daisy's brother into Donald's family tree? What does other list members
think?

> and as far I remember there were some storys (Italian I think) showing
> HD&L dating AM&J

It's been shown in American stories. Don't know about Italian.

> Why  Gladstone is sow interested in Daisy anny way? I
> mean this guy can have enny beutyfull girl on the planet he wish for,
> why she care sow much obaut Daisy (exept to bother Donald ofcourse)
> she isn't sow atractive...

When Daisy first shows up in the newspaper strip (November 4, 1940),
Donald is utterly smitten -- a throbbing heart can be seen in his speech
balloon. The next day he goes to extremes, just to catch a glimpse of
her. To me, that indicates Daisy is a babe. (By Duck standards, of
course.)

As for whether Gladstone can have any girl he wants, I seriously doubt
it. Cars, yachts, mansions, all the money he needs... Sure, why not?
He's the luckiest man in the world! But all those things are only
physical objects. Does Gladstone have any real friends? A girlfriend who
actually likes him? Any meaningful emotional connection to another
person? Apart from some very rare exceptions, the answer is no. And
those exceptions are usually driven away by Gladstone's narcissistic
focus on himself. Fortunately for Gladstone, he is too focused on
himself to notice...

Lars