The reason for some Barks stories?

g-hasne g-hasne at online.no
Wed Feb 18 20:30:55 CET 2004

Hello from cold Norway.

I wonder regarding some story ideas Barks had. Maybe Rob Klein or Don Rosa can
explain a little more about these ideas?

I always found the story about the midget racing cars somewhat hard to grasp.
Does anyone know anything about midget racing cars in the USA in the 50s and
why Barks should choose to elaborate upon this idea?

Also, there is a story on mini scooters making a race in the desert. Can
anyone tell whether this was something that was going on at that time? I would
think it was, but the idea of mini scooters doing such a race is weird.

Was playing hookey, that is staying away from school, so common that counties
and towns had their own truant officers, spying around for kids taking the day
off?

Was a Jalopy race a common occurrence in the USA in the 50s / 60s? What
exactly did the term mean at that time?

Sincerely,
Geir Hasnes
Trondheim, Norway