Scrooge's past

Anders Christian Sivebæk anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Fri Jan 30 14:20:36 CET 2004

Dear friends
When i was younger - about 9 years ago I made my database of my duck-comic
books.
Whenever I registered a comic where parts of Scrooges life was shown, i
would stop and read again. I had always been looking forward to these
stories - where we saw Scrooges past in Scotland, klondike, or stories
taking him from kid to grown-up. Stories made by people who just took one
fact about Scrooge's past and made a story of it. In 1992 when Rosas Life
of Scrooge started to come I had already been buying the weekly every week
for a couple of years. But during the period when Don's masterpeice was
published I got myself a subscription (and it still runs - on the 11th
year :-) - I love Don's Life of scrooge chapters, but I do also love
others stories with little bits of scrooge's past.
Inh the newest weekly SPOILER... Gorm transgaard tells us a story (drawn
by Wanda fattino) about Scrooges old friend big Olaf - they met eachother
in Alaska (Snagville - what was that in the original I wonder...) and the
story tells us about their competion. Actually one of the sled dogs in the
story is called Barko - like the one in Barks' story. You can tell that
Gorm remembers and respects the tradition.
Now for a bit of translation talk. We have big traditions of translating
here - the famous Sonja Rindom is the danish answer to the legendary Erika
Fuchs (whose dialogue some german donaldists love more than Barks
original, if I'm not mistaken). She translated from 1949 (the start) to
sometimes in the 80'es and thus also made the translation of Barks´' The
Old castles secret" - she gave Scrooges forefathers names in this story.
Keep that in mind.
In 1991 Don's little masterpiece King Scrooge came out here - Mrs. Rindom
had retired at the time, and we had another translator (I don't wiosh to
know her name - i don't even know if it's a she) - she did not do her job,
as some donaldists would have wanted her to do. So she gave the McDuck
forefathers other names... And so what, some would say - they were funny
names... Yeah, well. All got better when we got the translator we have now
- when he translated the Lo$ he was sure to use the names Rindom had
originally given the charecters.
So that's settled.
Yesterday i felt like reading a few pocket books - this combination of
italian and danish stories has always been very popular here. A story
coded I 2442-5 is in issue 276 of our pocket. I haven't even read the
story yet, because I thought of writing this mail - and I'm sure the story
is good as it is, even in danish. But the first point of criticism isn't
so big - danish colorists just never could make the McDuck tartan right
(only the first time it was seen) since then they've been making it in
many other colors...
The pocket books has another translator... so suddenly one of the
forfathers is named McTightwad - the Whiskervilles are suddenly the
McScreaming... Rannoch Morr (was that first used by Barks or Rosa) is
suddenly Rappan ('Quacking Duck') Moor. The story looks to be a nice one,
but it isn't even consistent in itself (in danish translation) the
McScreamings later become the McWhiskers...

Well, sour grapes - I guess I should just shut up and be happy? For one
thing I'll read the story.

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist