Il Gatto/Another Donald birthday story

Chris Hilbig chilbig1 at satx.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 13:32:05 CEST 2004

   This most likely will ruffle a few feathers, but in this
politically-correct world of ours, it absolutely doesn't surprise me
that our friend Il Gatto hasn't been used too often. I'll have to admit
that I haven't ever read a story with Il Gatto, but from what I've read
from this list, he sound like a (at this point I'll take no
responsibility for misspelling of names. :P I lack the time.) Joseph
Gerbils of the New York Times, Dan Rather, or a Peter Jennings. (Just
to name a few.) Essentially they'll swear up and down that they are
unbiased and straight-forward in their reporting, and then ball-face
lie, spin, or stretch the truth in order to push their agenda and/or
ideology and manipulate popular opinion. A good example would be the
anti-war/American stories that have been pushed from the thirteen
months before the war in Iraq  to today. Il Gatto sounds like he
represents all of this. From my first-hand  experience, and many
interviews I've read (and i've read quite a few), most artist and
writers don't believe in the value of morality, individualism, and
smaller government. A character like Il Gatto contradicts the notion
that all good journalists are truthful and look out for poor bastards
like themselves. The idea that reportage could ever be slanted is an
impossibility, or whoever is being smeared is most likely an evil
hate-monger that's profiting from the suffering of others. Therefore my
theory is that most writers in this business would be too uncomfortable
with using Il Gatto, unless he is placed in some type of heroic role,
which wouldn't fit the character.

  Then again this may all be just a coincidence, since I've never heard
of Il Gatto until Lars brought him up. There is the possibility that
most everyone else knows little or nothing of  Il Gatto and therefore
he hasn't been used very often.

Just my two-cents,

Chris