Old vs. New plus more

deanmary deanmary at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 14 21:54:55 CEST 2004

Regarding old vs. new stories in Gemstone comics, I must say that I
agree with Joe Torcivia in that I *highly* prefer new stories than
Barks, Murry, Strobl, etc. reprints.  Just explore the COA search
engine  http://coa.inducks.org/coa/c1/search.php and look at the
literally *thousands* of stories that have never seen print here in
the US!  Are all of these stories fantastic and great?  No.  However I
would much rather have an only so-so new (new to the US at least)
story than a great story I have multiple copies of.

I have been very happy with Gemstone so far in that they have limited
the amount of reprints published.  I do think they are making one
mistake though.  Why are all of the reprints in the prestige format
$6.95 titles?  It seems to me that people willing to spend $6.95 on
one Disney comic are more likely to be dedicated Disney fans and
already have many of these reprinted stories.  On the other hand, it
is more likely that kids would buy a $2.95 comic and if Barks and
others stories were reprinted there they would perhaps reach a new
generations of readers.  What I would love to see would be a "Disney
Classics" $2.95 title.  Each month there could be classic reprints by
Barks and others.  Then people who did not have this particular story
could buy this issue, while those of us that already have it could
skip it.  I think it would be the best of both worlds for people who
prefer reprints compared to us that mainly want new stories.  Does any
else like this idea, and Gary, has a reprints only title ever been
considered?

As far as for what type of Mickey stories I prefer, I must say that I
like the "new" Mickey stories that have more involved science
fiction/fantasy than Murry type stories.  Of course, there does need
to be a balance and not only to have fantasy stories or detective
stories.  Also, how about stories that are *neither* detective or
SF/fantasy stories?  I am biased in this though as I have never cared
for Murry mouse stories.  Until we have gotten these new stores from
Europe, I never much liked Mouse stories at all except for
Gottfredson's.  When I was a kid and read Disney comics I often did
not even read the Murry mouse stories.  At least to me they seemed
like "cookie cutter" stories -- always the same basic plot and
execution of the plot.  They reminded me of Scooby Doo cartoons in
that the story almost always seemed to follow a set path.  I do not
like Scooby Doo either and yet realize these cartoons are hugely
popular so obviously different people like different kinds of stories.

A few questions for Gary, if he has the time to answer them.  Are
there any plans for classic long stories from Scarpa, Cavazzano, etc.
to be in future issues of DDA or MMA?  I have really liked the stories
in DDA so far, but am surprised that stories by such Disney comics
giants such as they have not been printed yet.  Is there a reason?

Also, will Gemstone consider printing Don's piece about "Dream of a
Lifetime" in a future issue of US?  Of course it would have been best
to have been included in the issue with that story, but I would still
love to see it printed in a future issue.

(Gary, feel free to use any or all of this message in any upcoming
Disney comics letter page)

Dean Rekich