Reprints-New Stories

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Thu May 27 03:02:50 CEST 2004

Hi all!

First, I want to say that I don't envy people like Gary Leach and John Clark.
They obviously have a tough job and in some situations (perhaps the reprint
thing) they're darned if they do and darned if they don't. No one way will
satisfy everyone I'm sure. To a certain extent, I think they've answered the
situation in the sense that there are obviously a lot more 'new' (new as in never
published in English) stories than reprints. They still do a few more reprints
than I personally would like, but you couldn't necessarily accuse them of
being reprint crazy or anything. Perhaps Rodney's suggestions would be a good
thing as well as Joe's.

As far as how anything would affect the new reader, one who is just getting
into Disney comcs, I don't know. They can't miss reprints they've never read
before in a sense. Perhaps if they like the new Disney stories, that will compel
them to buy older Gladstone/Disney issues to see the older stories (at least
that's what I've done over the years). It would be interesting to know, out of
the people that are currently buying Gemstone, how many of them are actually
new readers, not 'old-timers' (like me?) who missed Disney comics and are glad
they're back and buying them again.

I think Gemstone is more or less on the right track as far as reprints go,
but I think there's room for improvement. Like just reprinting Don Rosa's "Curse
of Nostrildamus." I guess if it was new to me, I wouldn't have minded it, but
I had bought the Gladstone issue where it originally appeared a few months
ago. So it's the same situation, not everybody has read certain stories, etc.
Though I guess the only 'foolproof' way out of that is to print only 'new'
stories, since no one would have read them (unless they can read the languages the
stories were originally published in). I guess that's one reason why I like
DDA so much (and am looking forward to MMA): because of the format of those
stories, they all pretty much have to be new to the U.S.

Derek Smith