DCML Digest, Vol 28, Issue 15

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Thu Jun 16 15:24:54 CEST 2005

> Yes, as mentioned earlier, simply reading the stories out loud - with
> some summarizing of course, and "easification" of vocabulary - might e
> the ticket.  That is what my mother did with me and the original Barks
> (and others) stories, and I was able to read before age 5!  Somehow I
> figured out the curious spelling of English and was able to read the
> Barks (+) stories on my own before the First Grade, with some
> difficulty of course, but I remember looking forward to the mail every
> 4 weeks.  My mother purchased a subscription for both Unlce Scrooge
> and WDCS and maybe even for the separate Donald Duck series.

Certainly, the summary was very important. But I never "easified"
anything. I did, tho, pause occasionally and (in a different tone of
voice, and without pointing at the page, so they'd know it wasn't part
of the story) explain an unfamiliar word. (Or concept -- by the time
we'd finished Huckleberry Finn (I read them prose as well as comics),
when the oldest was about 8 or 9, they had a pretty good idea why
certain words were used, which polite people don't use today.) I figured
our nightly reading sessions weren't just fun for all concerned -- they
were also part of the kids' education.

Besides, I wouldn't want to spoil the rhythm of Barks's sparkling
dialog, another thing very young children appreciate as well as adults.

We're planning a big road trip in a couple of months, and tho the kids
are grown and we'll have a grandson (going-on-4) along, reading aloud is
part of the in-car entertainment we've planned. Unfortunately, we can't
do comics, since it'll be impossible to position everyone so they can
see the page, but we've chosen stories we can all enjoy.

Quack, Don