1950's Disney Comics Strip Offices in New York?

timo ronkainen timoro at hotmail.com
Fri May 6 16:52:24 CEST 2005

Hello all!

I was re-reading Trina Robbins' book about women cartoonists. I copy on
excerpt here:

""""--------------------
Marie Severin, possibly this country's most respected woman super hero
artist,
[...] her employer, EC Comics, was experiencing difficulties [..] and she
knew it
was time to look for other work. Severin had heard that Walt Disney
Productions
had offices in New York City, so she looked them up. At the front desk, a
small
man with a Disney moustache did not bother to look at her portfolio.
Instead, he
informed her that Disney didn't hire women. "No women? Not at all?"
stammered
the aghast artist, who had been used to more egalitarian treatment at EC.
The little
man replied, "Follow me, I'll show you." He led her to a huge room with
orderly
rows of desks. At each desk was a lamp, and under each lamp sat a man in a
white shirt, drawing. "See?" said the little man. Severin realized that she
wouldn't
want to work at a place like that, anyway.
It goes without saying that all those white-shirted men working for Disney
were
white, white-shirted men. If, after the war, action-oriented comics became a
male-
only domain, all nationally syndicated comics were and had been a white-only
domain.
""""""""""""""""""""""------------
(A Century Of Women Cartoonists).

I was wondering what was this bull ben staff? Western? Disney's own shop?
Who were those men? I thought that every cartoonist (excluding Comic Strip
Department in Cal) worked as freelance at home. Does anybody know?

Best Wishes
Timo

^^''*''^^
Cartoonist - writer - donaldist -