Huey, Dewey and Louie development

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Sep 3 14:25:26 CEST 2005

Hola Santiago!
Donald's three nephews were invented to give him a lot of trouble in one cartoon, as only
foils for Donald.  They were not intended to be primary characters-or even considered for
making return appearances in other cartoons.  They were so unimportant, that
background information was not even necessary.  I'm not evensure we got to hear the
name of their mother (Donald's sister).   So, in developing the characters, it was easier
have them be triplets (three little kids can be much more trouble than one).  And, if
they're
all energetic, wild demons, there's no reason to give them different characters.  Barks
developed all the Duck characters much more than the cartoons did.  BUT, he didn't have
license to change their characters from those of the cartoons.  So they had to stay
triplets,
who acted as one.

Rob Klein