The Archives--Favorites for revival

Marvinw marvinw at zahav.net.il
Sat Sep 3 18:50:48 CEST 2005

Great news that besides the Good Housekeeping cartoon stories we will also be seeing soon stories from the King Features Disney strips. With Leonard Maltin presenting the series of Disney film treasures, we now have David Gerstein as his counterpart providing us with the Disney printed treasures. Many thanks to Gemstone enabling this to happen.
I have two particular favorites that I would like to see. A representation of the very first Disney comic book that appeared in 1931 which consisted of black and white Gottfredson strips.
Secondly, I would like to see a reissue of the 1943 Gremlins story produced by Disney. This was written by Roald Dahl, the author for the Disney stop-motion film "James and the Giant Peach", he wrote many of the Tales of the Unexpected used by Hitchcock, and he is the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with its new film version now being shown.
Included with the Gremlins story book were beautiful color drawings by the Disney artists. The Gremlin characters later appeared in WDC&S in several short two page comic gags drawn by Walter Kelly.
Perhaps the reissue of the Gremlins could be bound together with a comic book type version of the story drawn by a modern day artist ( maybe a new challenge for Don Rosa ! ).
I am sure that many will have their own special favorites.
Marvin Winitz

Enclosures for David Gerstein:
Walt Disney himself reading his very first Disney comic book
Gremlin pictures drawn by the Disney studio