Hannibal Hound Dog

H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Fri Apr 21 13:11:48 CEST 2006

Bror wrote:

> Hard Haid Moe's Dog is called "Hannibal Hound Dog" in English in some
> indexes. I wonder if anyone can tell me
> one or two stories where the dog clearly is called "Hannibal"
> in english.

There are probably *no* stories.
Here's what David wrote to me, a few weeks ago:

<<
     For many years we inducksers have called Hard Haid Moe's dog
"Hannibal Hound Dog." This came about because the dog was called
Hannibal in several different European translations of S 64099. Since
the name Hannibal is common in English, we concluded that
it must be his English first name, and that the other publications
took it from the original.
     Since all other S-coded stories called the character just Hound
Dog or Houn' Dawg, we took that to be his surname. Thus, Hannibal
Hound Dog.
     We should eliminate "Hannibal" in the English name [in INDUCKS].

     David

And that's what we did. The Houn' dawg is not called Hannibal anymore in
Inducks.
Until we have proof of an English text with that name.

--Harry.