Censorship

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Mon Aug 14 12:48:30 CEST 2006

> I've been thinking of ordering some back issues of Gladstone's Carl
> Barks Library in Color albums, and I wanted to ask, before ordering,
> if the CBL in Color version of Voodoo Hoodoo is the "censored" one or
> not. I have the revised version in one of Gladstone's first-run
> albums, but would buy the CBL in Color album if it's the original
> version. If anyone knows the answer, please let me know.

Depends on what you call "censored". This is off the top of my head, so
a detail or two may be askew. When the story was first published, the
word "dead" was not used in Dell comics, so a zombie was defined as "a
man who won't stay done fer". When it was reprinted, black dialect
wasn't used, so the definition was changed to "a man who won't stay dead".

Is one of those uncensored? Which?

Quack, Don