Delta Dimension, Dinkie, C.O.A. and more

David Gerstein ramapith at verizon.net
Tue Jul 11 17:32:16 CEST 2006

     Hey Rich,

>> "Mickey Mouse in the Delta Dimension" will be appearing
>> in full in MICKEY MOUSE ADVENTURES 11.
>
> This is exciting news!  That means Atomino Bip-Bip will finally be
> coming to the
> USA!  Mickey's known extended family & friends is growing here!
> I've always liked
> Atomino, but the stories I have of him are, naturally, all Italian
> (and maybe some
> Dutch ones?).

     Please check the COA. You'll find that outside of Italy, only
France has produced stories with Atomo Bleep-Bleep.
     You'll get more of Atomo in MMA 13, by the way.

> I believe you (David) said that his English name will be "Atomo
> Bleep-Bleep", correct?

     Correct.

> I was also happy to see "Love Trouble" finally reprinted! And the
> return of
> Ellsworth to the USA!!!!

     I'm glad somebody noticed our Scarpa/Cavazzano Ellsworth short
in MICKEY MOUSE ADVENTURES 10! And Scarpa's Ellsworth will be back
again later this month with a longer story in WALT DISNEY TREASURES.

> Finally, Dickie Duck made her USA debut in the story Story code: D
> 99047
> Title: Healthy Choice.

     Nope. Dickie's USA debut came even earlier, in D 2000-106
"Return to TNT" (in Gemstone's DONALD DUCK ADVENTURES 5). You'll
notice her on the second page, driving HDL and Herbert off on a
camping trip.

> [in D 99047] she is only depicted among the many other kids, but her
> visual imagery is unmistakable.

     Oh, it's her all right. I ought to know; I edited this story at
Egmont.
     There's a slight error, BTW in Gemstone's publication: on the
credits page, I'm credited as having done the English dialogue for
"Healthy Choice." My credit shouldn't be there: John Blair Moore, the
story's author, is an English-speaking American well-schooled in Duck
idiom, and the (excellent!) dialogue is his.

> Again, in C.O.A. she is listed as having the
> English name of Paperetta Ye-Ye, even though it is fairly common
> knowledge that
> Romano Scarpa said her English name is "Dickie Duck." Has there
> been an official
> designation for her English name?

     Not yet.

> I'm still hoping to see Gideon McDuck (Scrooge's brother); Kildare
> Coot (Sgrizzo
> Papero); Bruto (Mickey's talking bird); Dugan Duck (Biquinho);
> Gloria (dal
> Brasile), Fethry's girlfriend; Trudy (Pete's moll)

     Trudy Van Tubb (her complete English name) will be in WALT
DISNEY TREASURES' Ellsworth story, on sale in just a couple of weeks.
And we'll probably have another story with Trudy early next year.
     The other characters you list are all possibilities for the
future, though I think we'd logically wait to introduce Bruto until
our audience is used to Ellsworth.

> Super Daisy (Papernika)

     Er, who came up with the name "Super Daisy"? When she's in her
costume, nobody's supposed to know that she's Daisy. So she couldn't
logically call herself "Super Daisy." (It's the same reason why
Donald Duck's secret identity is "Duck Avenger" rather than "Super
Donald"...)

     Best, David