back issues in the United States

Marc Newman marc.newman at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 20:01:08 CEST 2007

Those are good answers about comics in Boston.  I actually emailed Lee a
lot of the same comments and recommended some stores outside of Boston,
as well as Dolgoff.

I agree with the basic comment.  Back issue comics in the US these days
is basically a mail order event.  Stores have been forced to go with
what turns over most quickly.  Back issue Dells and Gold Keys aren't as
quick a seller and it's hard for most stores to A) pay rent for floor
space for back issues and B) get a reputation which will allow them to
accumulate them in the first place.  The other thing is C) people sell
on eBay anything old and thus fewer of us actually keep them in stock as
opposed to turning them instantly on eBay.  (eBay can be pretty negative
though with high postage costs, amateur sellers and almost always
amateur grading.)

The back issue situation isn't as grim as one might think as there are
probably 1-2 great stores in every metroplitan area that still carry
back issues.  The Disneys might be in the back room though! Meaning you
have to ask and they may have to bring out some boxes that have never
been priced.  I can probably think of four stores in the San
Francisco/Sacramento area that would be worth calling to inquire about
Disney back issues.  But my mail order operation has more Disneys than
all of them combined, most likely.

I enjoy reading the list and as you guys know, chime in when I have some
knowledge to contribute.

Regards,
Marc Newman
www.HouseofComics.com
"Super-Selection of Silver and Bronze Age Comics"