Online Petition

JTorci3511 at aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 13:36:29 CEST 2007

Everyone:

Tom Wormstedt wrote:

"I was thinking  it would be a great idea to start a 'formal online petition'
to have Disney  consider reprinting ALL the MM strips and dailies whether it
be in a  library or other format unexpurgated."
In theory, this is a good idea but, in practicality, it may be one better
left alone.

An online petition MAY indicate the numbers of us that are behind such a
project... BUT in all likelihood, it will call undue attention to the content of
the Gottfredson strips and could very well hurt our chances of seeing as much
of  this material as we might otherwise get!

In other words, even if "they" know something's "wrong" about Gottfredson,
they might not know the EXTENT -- and could come down harder if they did!

Things in the USA like the recent "Don Imus" controversy, where some utter
idiocy was broadcast over the airwaves resulting in his firing and increased
scrutiny of broadcasters, is still too fresh in the executive "suit" mindset,
and our beloved Gottfredson classics could undergo an entirely new round of
scrutiny as a result.

Tom cites the example of George Lucas, but please note that George Lucas is
a CREATOR, and not an executive "suit".  I needn't go into detail on the
differences and the possible outcomes stemming from  those differences.

Gemstone has, quietly and in its own way, done a superb job in navigating
these choppy waters with Disney.  "Foreign Legion" and Don Rosa's complete
"Incredible Shrinking Tightwad" are but two examples of this.

I'm for simply letting Gemstone "do their job" quietly and without a
well-intentioned but boisterous fan base calling attention to what Gemstone is  just
as likely to accomplish on their own.

I have the utmost trust in Gemstone.  Hopefully, the majority of us do  as
well!

Joe Torcivia.