More comments and questions on 3 panel stories

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Mon Jun 18 07:52:45 CEST 2007

I meant to write to the list sooner more about this issue, but my computer was out of commission for  a few days. :(  Boy, when you don't have it for a bit, you can see how much you miss the Internet!

Gary, you said that you have a "fair stockpile" of 3 panel stories that were acquired for DDA and MMA before they were cancelled.  Could you give us a ballpark figure of how many you are talking about?

I agree that since there isn't a way to return these stories that it would not make sense economically for Gemstone to never print them.  Since DDA and MMA are gone, Gemstone is choosing to print them in US and WDC&S.  Isn't there a chance that a third way would be better?  I am mostly thinking of the B/W "Shonen Jump" style format that Gemstone first talked about in late 2006 when so many titles got cancelled.  I would still prefer to have DDA and MMA being published, but a B/W title is better than nothing at all.  And if the only other option is putting these 3 panel stories in US and WDC&S, I would *really* prefer there to be a B/W title and save the two monthly prestige format tiles to traditional 4 panel stories.  How do others on the list feel about this issue?

It has been so long since we have heard anything about such a B/W title that I am not sure it is being considered anymore.  Can you update us on this?  If not a B/W title, perhaps Gemstone can come up with a better idea!  Now I know the next part has gone beyond "beating a dead horse" into probably turning the dead horse to glue! :) However, can you give us *any* hints about Gemstone's plans for 2008?  If you can't, can you tell us about when you might be able to?  Yeah, give me some credit for trying! :)

    I must admit that I am somewhat disappointed in Gemstone in 2007.  Many things were mentioned as coming up when many of the titles were cancelled, and over all, I don't think we have seen many come to pass.  The B/W title has gone nowhere, at least as of yet.  We were supposed to get many more TPBs but it looks like there will only be 2 this year.  I realize that these things we were told were not "promises" in any sense of the word, but just what were your ideas at that time.  I just hope that 2007 was a transitional year and that we get many of these new titles and/or different titles, formats, ideas, etc. in 2008.  Even the briefest glance into Gemstone's "crystal ball" for 2008 would be *very* much appreciated!

    Kriton mentioned the apparent "disconnect" between my dislike for 3 panel stories and the fact that I like Scarpa stories and that most of his are 3 panel stories.  I will try to explain.  First off I am not saying all of the modern 3 panel stories we were getting in DDA and MMA were awful.  I was saying that on average though they did not seem to be of the same quality of the modern 4 panel stories seen in the other titles.  Also, most of the modern 3 panel stories seem as if they were written for a younger audience and on the whole do not have the quality of story and art as the 4 panel stories do.  However, that is only my opinion and it is only a general opinion.  There have been a few modern 3 panel stories that I have liked quite a bit.

    Another thing is *where* these 3 panel stories are published.  A 40 or 50 page story in a 120+ pages title like MMA or DDA is much different that having a 30+ page 3 panel story in a title that only has 64 pages to begin with.  Plus since we are down to only 128 pages each month, I really would like the two prestige titles not to contain these modern 3 panel stories as I think with only 128 pages a month that these two titles should contain the "cream of the crop".  And in my own opinion, modern 3 panel stories usually just aren't that great.

    I do realize that Scarpa produced mostly 3 panel stories.  However, from the Scarpa stories I have read, there is a *big* difference in quality in his classic 3 panel stories than in the more modern 3 panel stories!  After all, Scarpa is considered to be among the all time great Disney comic creators.  I don't think most of the modern writers/artists would be hurt by hearing that their 3 panel stories just do not rank as high as many of Scarpa's.  Once again, that is just my opinion though.  What do others of you think?

    Finally I would be willing to lose even Scarpa 3 panel stories from the two remaining monthlies *if* they were presented in another format, say some Scarpa TPBs?  How does that sound?  See how many possibilities Gemstone has for the future!  So Gary, David, Travis, etc., if you ever need someone to come up with ideas for Gemstone I would be happy to do the work for free!  Aw, who I am kidding -- I would *pay* Gemstone to do such "work"! :)

Dean Rekich