DCML Digest, Vol 52, Issue 13

John Lustig john at lastkisscomics.com
Mon Jun 18 02:01:54 CEST 2007

Wow. It's been years since I've written anything on this mailing list,
but I want to say that I agree completely with what Don Markstein just
posted regarding re-writes of translations. First of all, sometimes
jokes just don't translate. So you have to add something. You have to
make changes. I've never re-written any European Disney scripts, but I
did do a re-write for a five-book Viz series, Ultra Maniac. In that
case, I think one of the reasons I was hired was that the editor knew I
could write new gags.

I also agree with Don about my own Disney/Egmont scripts. I want the
people who translate and re-script my stories to make me look good. Of
course, I want them to remain true to the spirit of my story. But
there's no way they can do that if they try to go with a literal
translation and don't add references and terms that make sense in that
language.

John Lustig
www.lastkisscomics.com