Junior Woodchucks Vs. Scouts

Nuno J. Silva nunojsg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 21:04:26 CEST 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:48:27 +0100 (BST)
jyri lehtinen <jyri_85 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In Finland Junior Woodchucks is translated into Cubs.
> Therefore LHD are considered to be scouts. Is this the
> case in some other countries?

In Portugal and Brazil, they're called "escoteiros-mirins", being
"escoteiro" the portuguese word for scout, and "mirim" a word meaning
young, beginner, junior.

Nowadays, "escuteiro" is also used in Portugal with the same meaning as
"escoteiro", and it's the one which is used in portuguese Disney Comics
translations (with some exceptions - and I've also seen some stories
which have the two expressions!).

Brazillians use "escoteiro" ("escuteiro" is rarely used there).

--
Nuno J. Silva
Lisbon, Portugal

Using Claws Main 3.0.0

Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

-=-=-
“In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has had
to worry about where the next meal would come from.” -- Peter S.
Drucker, who invented management