1:200 Scale Money Bin Model

Shaun Craill shaun at craill.com
Thu Sep 24 11:54:44 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

Some years ago I created a 3D CAD model of the Money Bin using Dan Shanes blueprints as a starting point.  I made it 1:200 scale for the purposes of making a rapid prototype kitset model, but haven't managed to get around to it.  I thought I'd see if there was any interest out there for them, and if there was, make them available to share.

For those not familiar with rapid prototyping: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_prototyping

The files are available in stl format for the purposes of rapid prototyping, about 15.5Mb in total.  I have also created a couple of 3D pdf files, one showing an exploded view of the components in the kitset and one pdf showing the Money Bin assembled.  These are about 2Mb each and will allow a 3D view of what the CAD model looks like, you can zoom in and out, change the lighting and background colours and move your eye point to view the model from any angle.  If anyone is real keen, they could take the stl files and put them into Blender and create a movie sequence, fly-throughs, animations, or a game using the Blender game engine.  Blender is a free open source animation, modelling, gaming and rendering package.  Personally I don't have the time, but there is no technical reason you couldn't do this if you really wanted to.

A little about this project:
There were a few details in the 2D blueprints that either didn't work in 3D or were missing:
- I consulted with Dan Shane and Don Rosa during this process to discuss changes that were needed as I went along.
- Had to reconcile the differences between the US published and the European published plans.  The European plans were more detailed, but didn't make sense with the overall metric dimensions being too small.  I decided to use the USA overall dimensions(imperial) and the European detailing.
- The salesman chute as originally designed looked pretty lethal, so this was modified.
- The wall section for the bin walls in the USA plans looked very flimsy to hold such a weight of money, so the European wall thickness was used.
- There's an accidentally sealed off secret hollow space in the basement, I kind of liked this architect's error so I left it in.
- Made some assumptions about stair tread riser heights to make it work within the floor plan space available for the stair wells.
- Left out all furniture detailing and doors, etc.  At 1:200 scale these would have been ridiculously small.
- Detailed the front of the Money Bin with a $ sign as this is what I grew up with and recognise, sorry everyone else!

If anyone would like to receive the pdf's or stl files, drop me a line, but please be patient if it takes me a while to respond.
Obviously the CAD files are shared on the basis that they are not for commercial use.  Also I haven't tried to use them to make any real physical models, so I cannot make any assurances about the correct fitting and tolerancing of parts beyond doing a simple interference check in CAD.

Cheers!
Shaun