Inception, The Cell and Scrooge McDuck

John Chadwick wolfsong at mpinet.net
Sun Aug 8 16:31:25 CEST 2010

In  THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK COMPANION, Don Rosa states
that the "inception" (if you will) for "Dream of a Lifetime" came from
a suggestion made by a fan. He also says that he happened to stumble
across THE CELL on television after  "Dream..." had been published. He
checked and found THE CELL had been released about one month before he
got the suggestion from the fan and that that may or may not be a
coincidence.

I find the whole thing amusing. There's even a link to scans of
"Dream..." on the INCEPTION FAQ page on IMDB. I'm sure Don would be
the first to tell you that his was not the first story of  people
entering someone else's dreams. There's also DREAMSCAPE from 1984,
it's the subject of a SPONGEBOB episode and even Bugs Bunny entered
Elmer Fudd's dreams in THE BIG SNOOZE back in 1946, and I'm sure even
that's not the earliest example.

At the very least it's getting attention for Don's work.