the end of the world is near (etc. etc.)

nils at math.uio.no nils at math.uio.no
Fri Dec 21 17:33:28 CET 2012

As we all know by now the world is ending on this very day,
which may or may not make us just a little bit thoughtful.
At any rate it makes me just sufficiently thoughtful &
hence curious to ask this educated forum about
*which Duck or Disney Comics stories have had
The World (as we know it) May Actually Be Ending
as its theme*? As in "unless we ducks fix this pretty
damn quickly events A and B and then C are bound
to happen and then the planet collapses", or likewise?

I can recall just a few stories which with a bit of a stretch
might qualify, but I'm sure there are more. One coming
to mind is Uncle Scrooge #13, with the terries and the
fermies, scary enough for a sensitive mind (yes, I *did*
put in "with a bit of a stretch"). But perhaps Rosa's
Black Knight glorping ahead with the Universal Solvent
is closer to creating a threatening scenario where things
could actually go Very Wrong for the full planet.

Others? Global wars, anyone? Environmetrics & heated
atmospheres, pollution, world dominance? Has Brutopia
ever tried to be very actively imperialistic, or are they
mostly content with being strange and exploiting
their home masses at home?

Nils Lid Hjort