Disney-comics digest #749.

Mike Pohjola mikep at freenet.hut.fi
Sun Aug 13 16:05:28 CEST 1995

	I mailed this to you in person, because I thought no other person would
probably be interested in reading it.

>can get accepted by Egmont that's your best bet as they pay MUCH MUCH more.

	Oh? Well, I'll try that then. Can you give me any numbers?

>They pay lots more for script than for art (relatively speaking), due to the
>fact they can get the art done in places like Chile and Argentina and Spain.

	D-oh! Any chance of me getting some good drawers, such as VanHorn or,
well, you? I have this Magica story which I all the time thought as if it were
made by you, because it involved so much action in so few a pages, not that it
really matters to me how they make it as long as I get the money..:) (not quite
true, of course I'd like to see my stories drawn nicely)

>        AKU ANKKA was publicizing my name as early as 1991?

	Yep, the first time was in issue 4/1991, a bit more than a year after
they published "Mythological Menagerie" in issue 1/1990. I think I posted that
article to you but I can do it again, it's no problem.

>letter, if you want my comments -- try to use the series' correct title,
>"The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck". Also, never be too critical of these
>editors' work, especially when you're dealing with editors who, for the most
>part, may be used to only getting gushy letters from children. If you come
>across too much as a cranky fan-boy (not that you DO, but they might
>overreact due to lack of experience with adult readers), they may toss your
>letter in the trash. But I've been getting to know the Finnish editors for
>the past few weeks, and they seem like some of the best editors I've dealt
>with... as good as Norway's Soland, as far as respect for the material. And

	Yes, the Finnish editors are very good and devoted to their job. And
I don't know about the letters they receive, but many of the letters they
publish are imho quite mature (not all or even most, however). And it really
bugs me to see letters saying: "Don Rosa is a young American artist, who
might actually become something if he stopped copying Barks' work" or "Why
are some of the stories in Aku Ankka so messy? The ones with young Scrooge
roaming around the world seem to have no plot at all". And that's why I thought
it might be someone to write something as seen from the other side to them.
(sounds a bit too heroic, but you get the point..)
	You think it was too critical to point out all the errors? I merely
meant to help them for the future prints of these stories. It's nice to get
rid of these things. You don't mind about me giving everybody your e-mail
address? This will, I believe, be followed by a gush of e-fanmail, much more
and much sooner than the paper letters.
	And one more thing: I'm not _adult_ in the technical meaning of the
word. (this to not surprise you totally in November) I'll be seventeen next
October. A week before your originally schedueled arrival at Finland.

>        ...And speaking of Finland and Italy, that leads me into a comment
>on my October-November trip to the comic shows in Helsinki and Lucca: The
>dates have changed again! The Helsinki show is postponed until November 10,
>so my trip will be more like October 28 to Lucca, then to Helsinki sometime
>or other in the middle, then leaving Finland around Nov. 13.

	Oh?-o Well, that leaves me some extra time to find the missing issues
of Aku Ankka for you. There are three which I haven't been able to locate
so far. What will you do here in Finland? (do tell all the list) Don't pack
your luggages too thight, because I've got a whole bunch of magazines, and a
Scrooge piggy-bank you should make to fit in, too.

--

	Mike - The Finnish Trekkie