Gladstone and classics

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Mon Nov 26 12:27:55 CET 2001

DIM wrote about Gladstone's character
>  As for Gladstone's honesty may I remind you of "The Luck of the North"
>by Barks in which Glastone cons an Eskimo tribe to give him one of their
>two cayaks and destroy the other?The tribe later starves.This version of
>Gladstone is much more cruel than the "Paperiade"'s.

Yes, I'm aware of that Gladstone isn't world's nicest person. But it
doesn't make any sense to me that Gladstone would team up with criminals
like the Beagle Boys. Still it's an interesting way to handle Gladstone
and adds some extra flavour to the story but I don't like it anyway.

>As far as I remember the only story that focuses on Gladstone's posive
>qualities is the short but enjoyable(and great visually) "Gastone e il
>debole dalla fortuna"(I TL 2208-4) by Augusto Macchetto and Enrico
>Faccini.Any others?

There was one story published in Finland few months ago: "Gastone e la
fortuna altruista" (I TL 2338-2) which in the end shows Gladstone as a
friendly person.

SPOILERS AHEAD! BEWARE!

Gladstone's car brakes down and he has to wait in a gas station for the
spare part. The gas station is not going too well, but Gladstone's arrival
brings luck to them and things start to work out. Gladstone however is
suffering from bad luck and he's anxious to go on. But at the end he and
the gas station people become friends and he might stay there a little
longer.

I forgot to comment those other classic adaptions (Three Musketeers, Don
Quijote, Odysseia). These might very well be better adaptions than
Paperin Fracasse but there is one major problem in them for me: the
drawer. I simply can't stand Pier Lorenzo De Vita's style. Doesn't matter
how good the plot is, I can't see it through the drawings. So although I
have read those stories I don't really care about them. Shame, if the
stories really are good.

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
Aku Ankan taskukirja -tietokanta: http:/www.perunamaa.net/taskarit/

"Elokuvataiteen kannalta Van Damme on ollut merkittävimmillään
Replicant-elokuvan loppuhuipennuksessa, jossa hän potki ja
pieksi perusteellisesti itseään." -Mikko Vienonen, IS 13.10.2001